Wednesday 12 September 2012

Breaking the Codes of a Good Coffee

As usual, I again had a hurried morning and I could tack only on ‘pick me coffee’ before I left for my work. My dopamine had tuned up when I reached at work. Then for hours and hours, my figures kept mashing keyboard buttons, my ears kept listening even to panting voices over phone receiver and my eyes were wide open as a night watchman. Am I over caffeinated?

Am I over Caffeinated?

I was wondering is that coffee all about rushed mornings, frantic days, mind tearing stress and ‘action stations’ and it aids and abets us only in keeping up strong against rushed and stressful activities only. Among many other variables, following three are important indicators to caffeine level in coffee.
    a-Coffee’s origin
    b-Roasting
    c-Preparation

Coffee’s Origin:

Coffee is produced only in ‘bean belt’ starting from tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. Beans taken from these tropics noticeably vary in terms of caffeine percentage. For example, beans from Jamaican Mtns carry 1.24% caffeine. Whereas Kenyan beans have 1.36% of caffeine. Even different beans taken from same bush can also vary in their caffeine levels. So what’s the answer? There are mainly two types of coffee that comprise over 98% commercial consumption.
    1-Arabica
    2-Robusto (also known as Canephora)

Caffeine level in a typical Arabica bean ranges from 1.2% to 1.8% and from 2.4% to 3.7% in Robusto beans. This caffeine level stays same even in coffee capsules. It tells that a 7 ounce of Coffee cup would have 115-117 mg of caffeine in it.

Roasting:

Roasting is another important agent in determining caffeine level in a typical coffee cup. In the process of roasting, caffeine is surfaced under 350-500 F. Contrary to the belief, roasting decreases caffeine to considerable levels. Depending upon temperature and time span of the roasting process, caffeine can be reduced up to 15%. It means that darker the beans, higher the caffeine levels and vice versa. So people particularly interested in drinking lower levels of caffeine should take lighter brown beans.

Preparation:

The way you make your cup of coffee too plays crucial role in your caffeine consumption. From Cappuccino to Espresso and from Caffe latte to Americano, all methods for making coffee do affect caffeine level.

So, how much should I drink?

As a matter of fact, it depends on what type you are drinking. Contrary to popular belief, scientific studies shows some interesting facts. It shows that drinking two cups of coffee per day decreases liver cancer chances to 43%. Likewise, drinking 5-6 cups of coffee in a day would decrease your diabetes vulnerability to 50%. I have been using Refillable Nespresso Capsules for quite some time and feel quite relieved and agile. My medics too reported me that I am going cool. Anyhow, doctor’s recommendation for you too is always important. If you are feeling that you have taken too much or are taking too much coffee, its better to consult with doctors.

Action Stations:

I was too surprised when I learnt that Coffee is 2nd most traded commodity over the earth. So the ubiquity of coffee must go unquestioned. But, every time we need coffee cup, should we always go through whole painstaking process of making coffee? Coffee capsules are good alternatives to make instant coffee. Just use coffee capsules and bingo! Coffee is ready in 2 minutes. Coffee capsules compatible Nespresso have gained much proclamation in recent years as they are always there to assist when you are feeling down and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment